Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's all about the rock pt. 2

You may be able to find this in the GO! section of pennlive.com

Lately I’ve come to know many, many bands that have taken a page from the script of the Badlees or Sister Hazel. That kind of down-home, grassroots rock n’ roll runs rampant, I’ve found, through south central Pennsylvania.
Ledbetter Heights is one of the better bands that bring this particular genre of rock to light. The band opened up the scheduled events for the night, playing to a far-less-than packed house. Their tone was subtle and their presence a bit subdued.
However, with very strong vocal quality and a very tight sound, Ledbetter Heights presented a chilled-out atmosphere that still managed to raise spirits invigorate the small crowd.
Watching these guys play I realized how much I missed the small-venue rock show, or the large-venue small-time band rock show. All too many times in the recent months I have found myself at large venues watching very trendy bands. When I shell out $30-40 on a band, I want to enjoy myself. However, at these shows, it seems I am more pissed off about the people that seem to think an aisle forms off my right shoulder and the trendy kids that sing along at the top of their lungs because maybe, just maybe, the lead singer can hear them and think they are good.
Millennium provides a large enough venue to have space to your self yet feel intimate with the band. It really just doesn’t get better than standing in a crowd of less than 200 people watching a band that rocks and loves to do so. It’s what rock is all about, what music should be about.

No comments: