Monday, February 4, 2008

Brand Spankin'...

NEW!
Isn't it weird how newness and fresh goodies can get us so excited? Well, not really, once you think about it I guess. Nevermind then.
Just kidding. But (honest to blog) I do get really excited when I find something hear or see something new. There are different kinds of new though--let me show you what I mean through three examples I've recently found.
New Twists- Flogging Molly
I've been a fan of this particular celtic punk band since their use on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 sound track circa 2002. I've seen them in shows, picked up all of their live albums and claimed death to anyone who says that the Dropkick Murphys are better. (One of those isn't true, you guess which) Recently I flipped to their MySpace page and lo and behold, a new song!
"Requiem for a Dying Song" is by far the most accessable that FM has ever sounded. However, their new, polished and dance-able-not-jig-able style is refreshing and vibrant. It's got everything that old FM fans rejoice over and yet is an easy jumping-on point for any new fans of the band or genre in general. Even my girlfriend, who was less than enthused about their previous work, said that the song was pretty sweet.
New Style- The Hush Sound
One of my favorite bands over the past two years or so, The Hush Sound has been my little-band-that-could since I first heard "Wine Red" in the summer of '06. Again, perusing the MySpace I came accross two of their new offerings from the eagerly anticipated, at least by me, Goodbye Blues. The first song released, "Medicine Man" blew me away. First of all, Gretta, who on their previous two albums has been a shy-sounding songstress has blossomed into a full-grown syren with a set of pipes that could sink even the most seasoned sailor. The new sound echoes on blusey (hence the title) rock that displays Gretta's full power, instead of masking her uncultivated potential. Despite that last sentance, the band's first two albums are possible the best freshman and sophomore efforts in recent history and it's truly amazing to see the young band reach their potential. If these two songs are any indication of how good this next album will be, the Hush Sound will take off this winter, exploding onto the mainstream.

New Edition- Wolverine and the X-Men
Nothing in this world--nothing--gets me excited like new geek news and this takes the cake! It's new, it's animated and it's the X-Men! One of my favorite websites http://www.comicbookmovie.com/ (yes, I plug this website because it's my #1 source for geek news regarding screens big and small) has posted a trailer for a brand new cartoon staring everyone's favorite mutants.(or second favorite depending how you rank the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) I was so stoked to see new images of my favorite characters, Beast and Angel (though not my two most favorite, they are some of my top five and were pictured). Though it looks a lot like X-Men Evolution, which I never got into because my VCR was broken and I don't like waking up early on Saturdays, the cartoon looks to be a strong combination of the usual animated style with the core characters and characteristics of the X-Men from the comics. I cannot wait til this airs...if it ever does. We all know too many ill-fated cartoons that were leaked before there time. Let us hope that this one does not join their ranks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flogging Molly > Dropkick
Any day.

I <3 you fanboy.

-Rev.